Tuesday, November 17, 2009

French Only??

French Only??

Well, it's official! The City of Dieppe is actually going to try to push French/Bilingual signs for new businesses. Here is a link to the article in question... I think that this is crazy & shouldn't be tolerated. Don't get me wrong, I certainly agree with pushing the bilingual signage; however, I don't think that it should be French only! How is that any better then the English only signs that are currently on the wall now? 

I have asked the Mayor, before the article came out, what he was thinking & why they wanted to do this? He said not to worry & things would be done very "Acadian" like! From what the news is putting out, I don't think it's being done very Acadian like. 

The city wants to ensure that we protect our French language being an Acadian city & all; however, I think that the true language that should be protected is "CHIAC". 

I understand that the Mayor wants to please the people in the city; however, I'm not sure imposing a signage by-law, extremely similar to the one in Quebec is the way to go. I think that the city should allow the businesses in the community to choose how they want the signage to be put up! 

Here is a copy of the by-law & as it is clearly marked in paragraph 3(a) subject to clause (b), the message or content of the external commercial sign shall be in French or bilingual.


I'm glad that the city has also taken the time to set up a Townhall meeting to discuss the matter. I will certainly be attending & I will also be emailing my Councillor to make sure that he is aware of my point of view as well. 

I guess what is really frustrating is that the mayor even commented on my facebook page & it was later deleted! How is that supposed to instill confidence in the Municipal Government?


On another note, the city was holding a contest that would grant access to 50 families from the city to have the first swim at the new Aquatic Center. We were picked as one of the families to participate! It was a blast! The center is divided in 3 sections & the section we spent most time in was the kids play area. It's made like a beach where it slopes down and gets deeper as you continue to move forward. 

Olivia was even in the paper!  

In case you haven't seen it either, I've also entered the world of Tattoos... I had Olivia's name tattooed in Kanji on my right forearm. Olivia was very impressed! On top of it all, Allison also got a tattoo on the weekend! I think hers is awesome!


Well that's all that I've got for now!

'til next time!!!

No comments: